Frequently Asked Questions
How easy is it to buy land on the Costa del Sol?
- It is possible to purchase a plot of land (parcela) in Andalusia, have an architect design the house of your dreams and a local construction firm build it for you. While this may be an attractive option on paper, please be aware that Spanish building laws and regulations as well as local business customs are often difficult to follow.
Do be prepared to work closely with local architects, lawyers, town hall officials and building experts to make sure your project is a success. Take great care to research the land you are thinking of buying to ensure it has been approved for building, that the plot is large enough for the build and of suitable terrain. It is highly recommended that you consult a local surveyor or architect and obtaining written confirmation from the local town hall before you proceed with the purchase.
How much does it cost to build my own villa in Spain?
- When calculating the cost of building a villa in Spain, you should budget for:
- Land purchasing costs including taxes, legal and other fees
- Building licence, habitation licence and local taxes
- Bank loan or mortgage charges
- Architect and project manager fees
- Building costs
- Utility connection charges
You should expect the cost of the plot and the build itself to take up 80-90% of your overall budget. The cost of land varies considerably depending on where you wish to buy and the general economic and political climate at the point of purchase. Accurate figures are difficult to obtain but can be in the region of €30-300 per square metre. Building costs also vary widely and can be anything from €300-1,500 per square metre in resort areas, depending on quality and location.
Where are the best places to buy a home on the Costa del Sol?
- The Spanish Sunshine Coast stretches for 100 miles from Gibraltar in the west all the way to Nerja in the east. Thanks to a combination of beautiful seaside location, including many hillside properties with spectacular views, and the wonderful Mediterranean climate, the Costa del Sol has consistently remained a hugely popular area for property buyers from Britain and elsewhere.
The area offers a wealth of cosmopolitan resorts with access to an excellent choice of sandy beaches, golf courses, marinas and leisure amenities. Property here caters for all lifestyles and budgets, from affordable apartments and family homes in Torremolinos and Fuengirola to exclusive villas in upmarket resorts such as Marbella, Puerto Banus and Estepona, and luxury hillside villas for the rich and famous.
Promas Building operate across the entire Costa del Sol, including the resorts of Benahavis and Fuengirola, Elviria, Marbella and Puerto Banus.
How about making home improvements to my Spanish home?
- If you have found the perfect location for your holiday villa but the house itself needs some renovation work, ProMas Building should be your first port of call. Sometimes, smaller refurbishments such as a new kitchen or bathroom may be all that’s needed. Sometimes, the entire villa needs to be upgraded to the standard you require to give you the lifestyle you are after.
At ProMas, we have successfully completed numerous apartment renovations and villa reform projects of all sizes. Take a look at our Case Studies of properties on the Costa del Sol as well as the images in our Gallery to see what we can offer.
What type of permission do I need to refurbish my Spanish property?
- Any proposed building works require a licence to be obtained from the local town hall. There are 2 types of building licences: major works (obra mayor) or minor works (obra menor). For major works including new builds, it is a requirement that you have a professionally qualified architect to prepare and oversee the building projects. Minor works permits, on the other hand, can simply be issued for a small fee.
At Promas, we have formed strong relationships with a number of architects and interior designers, and we can assist with licence applications where needed.
Why should I choose ProMas Building?
- We are a professional firm of English builders in Marbella on the Costa del Sol. Our experienced and reliable team boasts over 20 years’ industry experience gained both in the UK and in Spain. We specialise in design, construction and total refurbishment projects for your holiday villa or apartment.
Whether you are looking for reliable and competent builders to redesign your kitchen or bathroom, add an extension, roof terrace or pool, or build your dream home from scratch, ProMas cover all aspects of interior and exterior design and build.
What should I do next?
- If you are considering a building project or development on the Costa del Sol, we would be delighted to advise you. For an informal chat to discuss your requirements, give us a call on +34 951 497 619 or send us an online enquiry. We look forward to hearing from you.